As the days get warmer, I start to crave salads as my main course. This mango chicken curry salad bowl came from my Dad and has bites of sweet mango, tart grapes, crunchy roasted cashews and peppery greens. Serve this for dinner on a hot night on the patio. I pile up greens on each plate, scoop a few spoonfuls of the chicken salad mixture, and scatter the cashews on top. Unless I’m serving the exact second I mix the cashews into the dressing, I leave them out and serve separately, to preserve the crunchiness factor. The crunch makes the salad!
I love that salad bowls can be easily deconstructed for kids. Deconstructed meals mean each family member can customize their plate, and everyone is happy. For picky eaters in your house, this salad deconstructs beautifully.
Depending on their level of pickiness, you can either serve them chicken with the curry dressing or plain chicken (keep some aside before dressing the rest), a handful of cashews, a serving of grapes and a nice portion of mango bites. My son likes to eat ‘leaves’ (but, nooooo, not salad), so I add a nice pile of green leaves to his deconstructed version. Any leftovers are delicious stuffed into a pita, rolled into a wrap, on bread, or eaten with a fork standing in front of the fridge…
Mango Curry Chicken Salad
Great flavour and texture for a hot summer evening.
- 1 small barbequed chicken Skinned, deboned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. I can usually find a hormone free bbq chicken from a quality grocery store. This way I don't need to heat up my oven on a hot day but I'm not compromising on quality meat.
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp plain whole yogurt
- 2 tsp curry powder I use a mild curry powder, but here's your chance to spice up this salad!
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed tastes best
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2/3 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashews Pecans or walnuts also taste great
- 1 big pile of greens of your choice I like to use a combination of spicy greens and green leaf lettuce, but any greens will do.
Prepare the chicken by skinning, deboning and cutting 1/2 inch pieces.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, spices, lime juice, honey, ginger, salt and pepper.
Add chicken, onion, mango, grapes and nuts to the dressing and stir gently to combine.
Serve on a pile of greens. If you aren't serving immediately, keep the nuts out until you're ready to serve, then sprinkle on top of each plate.
One Reply to “Mango Curry Chicken Salad”
I’m getting hungry….