Around the middle of summer I start slooooooowing down. Summer heat and lazy days do not inspire me to cook. Rather than heat up my kitchen, I’d rather prep cool salads and soups to bring out to the patio. Cold soups make a nice change from salads but still contain tons of nutrients. This one is chock full of cucumbers, fresh herbs and powerhouse greens. Make a cool and colourful summer meal with grilled salmon, corn on the cob and this bright green soup.
A messy splash of buttermilk adds even more creaminess.
Green Goddess Soup
Colourful and cool summer soup.
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large or 1 1/2 small cucumbers, peeled I use long English cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups packed greens I use a combination of spinach, kale and arugula
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 green onion (green part), chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cut the cucumbers into small chunks. Wash and spin dry the greens.
Pour the buttermilk into your blender. Add the cucumber, greens, mint, basil, green onion, vinegar, sugar and salt.
Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into the blender.
Put the blender lid on and blend until you reach a smooth consistency.
Add the ice cubes and blend one more time. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chill for at least 4 hours to let the flavours develop.